DAVIS-SCOTT FAMILY YMCA
The Alamo Branch YMCA started because of a concerned parent disturbed by the rapid rise in delinquency among youth on the eastside. Mr. G.C. Henderson who solicited the help from what is called the 36 men club, who graciously donated the necessary funds to begin the formation of the Alamo Branch YMCA. Mr. Odie Davis Jr. was named Membership Campaign Chairman and then later became the Executive Secretary of the then Alamo Branch where he served for 28 years. He was tasked to raise a minimum in cash of $2,500.00 in four weeks. He solicited the help from the 36 men club in community organizations and raised 120% of their goal. From that the Board of Management was formed and the YMCA was born. Dr. S.T. Scott served on the Board of Management for 30 years and continued raising money for our YMCA.
The Alamo Branch YMCA began providing programs to the community in 1944 at Lindberg Park. After moving to the USO building at 112 Sycamore Street, it then was relocated to a facility on 1730 E. Commerce Street. In 1979 an agreement was made to occupy a City facility located at 1213 Iowa Street (present day location).
Thanks to the vision of Mr. G.C. Henderson, Mr. Odie E. Davis Jr., Dr. S.T. Scott and the countless donations from many citizens in the philanthropic community of San Antonio, this vision become a reality. In 1980 Mr. Charles B. Shannon of late, became the Executive Director of the Alamo Branch and through his leadership the YMCA has provided much needed programs that served the Eastside and surrounding communities. In 1994 the facility was renamed the Davis-Scott Family YMCA.
Today the Davis-Scott YMCA continues to be a beacon in the community through our service of kids, families, adults, and seniors. At the Davis-Scott Family YMCA, we continue to focus on our mission to put Judeo-Christian principles into practice through programs that build healthy Spirit, Mind, and Body for all.